Friday, May 29, 2015

THE CRUX OF THE MATTER

THE CRUX OF THE MATTER


As soon as I reached the abode of our family’s Crown Prince, he declared:
“Mom, I am going to buy a new car…Come what may!”
“Ok dear, but at the moment, can I enter your new residence and relax a bit. I am tired after the long journey”, I said.
 “Yes, of course” said he.

 The smiling bright faced, my DIL no 1, took me by my hand very lovingly and I entered the house. My younger grandson brought me a glass of cold water.
I was very pleased to see the tastefully decorated drawing room and all the other parts of the house. I knew my stay over here will be very pleasant in the loving company of this family.

Next morning when I woke up and came out, the lush green carpet grass, the sitting arrangement under the beautiful sun umbrella in the garden made me very happy. I enjoyed the cool breeze in the morning along with the breakfast.
I forgot all my problems and decided to enjoy the blissful stay with the people who loved me and cared for me.

When I met the Crown Prince after his breakfast he started, “Mom, did you notice yesterday how far we are from the Hyderabad town?”
“Yes dear, it is indeed quite far!” said I.
“And did you notice how secluded is our quarters from the main road?”
“Yes son, I noticed that too!”
“I hope you now understand the need for me to buy a second car. Because when I take our car to my work place my dear Wifey will be stuck as there is no public transport available around the place.”
 He tried to convince me. “But I am already convinced baba! You people do need a second vehicle. Just like in America-why now also in India, if people stay in a location just like yours!” was my reply.
“That’s what I have been trying to tell you for so long but you didn’t believe earlier” said the Prince.

I was baffled, confused and tried hard to remember if I had made any contradiction to his plan. I was sure I hadn’t.
Anyway, on the third, fourth and the fifth day same second car topic was discussed and discussed and discussed.

“Darling, what type of car would you like? A small smart one or a big utility type?” Prince would ask Her Royal Highness!

“Don’t ask me this question again and again. Whatever model I will mention, you will have something to contradict my choice.” The lady would say grudgingly.
“Dad, can we go for Renault Lodgy which you drove the other day for trial? It has got a beautiful interior and advanced technology. It also has a dual AC with roof mounted vents for second and third row AND a six speed gear box. It will be a great pleasure to go on long trips in it. Please Dad, lets buy it” said the next generation Crown Prince. He looked totally enamoured by the car’s superb accessories, interiors, boot space etc. I could see his gleaming eyes imagining himself in the driver’s seat, now that he has a newly acquired driving license.

But to his dismay, his practical old man poured cold water by saying “Money doesn’t grow on trees, Sunny! I can’t afford it even though I would love to have it.”

The second in the line of Princes butted in. “Then why not Amazingly Indian Honda? It has aerodynamic design and attractive styling and also the audio-visual navigation. It also has a large boot space and gives 25.8kmpl, which means not much spending on fuel. It also has a rear seat armrest with drink holder. I can always have my Pepsi without spilling it and soiling the seats!”

“Have you finished dreaming about the beauty which is not within our reach, Darling boy! Let us think about something that fits in our budget” said my down to earth son to his younger Prince.

A few days went by in discussion, discussion and more discussion!!! In the meantime my son wanted me to go with him for a test drive in the famous Renault Duster. I politely declined the offer as my health was not upto it.
When all of them came back after the ride, they all were floating in the magical experience. They couldn’t stop telling each other about the various apps such as one touch indicator, electrically adjustable ORVMS, trunk storage space, smoked headlamps, rear defogger, wiper and washer with timer, cruise control etc.

Though I did not understand their language which was full of short forms, I enjoyed seeing their joy and excitement. They would have given their right hand if they could have a large sum of money which was needed to bring their dream car home. At the end of the day, as all Moms would do, I asked the most unwarranted question. “What is your budget for the new car, dear? And how are you going to fund it?”

“Mom, my budget is XXX lakhs. I am not going to take any loan and pay installments which in the end amounts to paying double of the original cost.”

“Good. I appreciate your stand” But then that xxx lakhs…there must have been a question mark on my face.

 “I am going to withdraw it from our savings of the years. We saved and saved meticulously. My better half planned the saving part well that today we are in a position to afford the luxury of having the cake and eating it too!” said the Crown Prince.

His better half, Her Highness was mighty pleased to hear the words of praise and appreciation from her hubby. I too felt proud and appreciative of their achievement. But again I disbursed motherly unasked for suggestion cum advice. “Wow, that’s quite a lot of money. If I were you, I would have bought another small car and a two wheeler out of it.”

“No way Mom, Never!! All of my life till now, I have driven a small car. Now it’s high time that I buy a big amazing all-round car and no one can stop me from buying one.” He looked at his wife to see her reaction.

“Darling, I too want you to own a big car” said she and added “What is the use of saving money and not use it when we are young and healthy to enjoy the driving trips? This is what you always say, isn’t it? I fully agree with you in this respect.”

“I have zeroed in on Maruti Ciaz! It fulfills most of my expectations and also fits my budget. I am going to book it right now.”

“See I always told you about it but you never listened. We get posted to remote places and only Maruti has service centers around them. So maintenance won’t be a problem. Plus it has all the comforts too!”

At last Her Highness had won! Isn’t she ALWAYS THE WINNER!!

08/05/2015                                                                  Jyoti


5 comments:

  1. I hope you will keep in submitting new articles or blog posts & thank you for sharing your great experience among us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an Awesome post. Just wanted to drop a comment and say, I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, things explained in details. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an especially good written article. i will be able to take care to marker it and come back to find out further of your helpful data. many thanks for the post. i will be able to actually come back.

    ReplyDelete