Wednesday, November 27, 2013

DIL, MIL and their blunderful DKT

“Mom, I am not available for four days of the coming weekend, don’t ount me in for anything.” Announced DKT when supermom/ MIL was planning a trip to Pune in her Diwali holidays.

DKT’s announcement poured cold water on Supermom/ MILs programme.

“What do you mean? Where are you off to?” she asked.

“I am going to Tadoba sanctuary with my group to see and shoot tigers.” Was DKTs answer.

“Arre, you went  to Bandhavgad last year, before that you went  to Tadoba and then to Bandhavgad again to shoot tigers” enquired supermom MIL with much concern for the tigers in her loving voice.

“Mom...you know that when I say shoot it, it means to click their photos with my brand new multi mega pixel camera.” Explained DKT.

“I know, I know...I am not an illiterate person who thinks that shoot means kill. I am also aware that shooting wild animals is banned.” Said supermom in one breath and then continued “How different can a Tadoba tiger be from a Bandhavgad tiger, I wonder?”

“Oh grandma...you don’t understand that the Tadoba tigers are cousins of the Bandhavgad tigers. So they are a little different – isn’t it so, father?” Princess of flat no. 409 chirped in between.

“You are right baby....see your grandmother doesn’t know” said the proud father.

Then he added in a hurt tone “Your grandmother thinks I have no work to do and lots of money to waste, so I am going to the jungle for entertainment.”
Reluctantly supermom MIL kept her mouth shut.

DKT works from home. Many people envy him because he doesn’t have to commute in heavy traffic hours, doesn’t need  to wear formal clothing, follow a fixed regime of getting up early to reach in time to the office to escape boss’s stares and glares.
DKT is his own boss. The only problem of this working style, is that it results into extreme boredom for him.
The wifey goes in the morning and comes back late in the evening, irritated by the traffic jams.

“Wifey – lets watch a late night movie today” DKT proposes. He loves extempore programmes.
“No way! I had a very long meeting with our directors today – unending – unfruitful discussions. A very trying day. Chee!!” Six out of ten times, this is DILs reply.
“Why cant you understand me? It is so frustrating and irritating to sit at home day after day and then once in a way ask my kind hearted wife – she flatly refuses because I didn’t give her 3 months prior notice in writing for watching a movie! Bah – no spontaneity, no fun. What a lucky guy I am” DKT grumbles.
DIL doesn’t like eleventh hour programmes. Besides office, she has other excuses, like daughters and MILs dinner, or sometimes replying to some urgent mails. Even when MIL generously excuses from the duty towards her, she wants to finish her sleep backlog.

If Dil Ka Tukda still insists, she gives him a counter proposal – or say permission – to bring another wife who will be at his beck and call – dress up and accompany him – whenever and wherever he wants her to go with him.
‘Wise man’, that MILs DKT has not yet fallen for this temptation.

But yes, he has joined many different hobby groups and has started developing interest in photography and biking. With these friends he goes for hiking, and sometimes he decides to move about in town for western music festivals, dramas, movies etc and no one objects to his escapades.

All in all, everybody is happy. The Tadoba trip was one such trip that he had planned.
On the day of the trip the supermom asked DKT “have you checked your journey time dear?”
“What do you mean? Ofcourse, I am sure about my journey time, and date and boarding place.” Retorted DKT.
“Then tell me what time would you be leaving and what about booking of Meru taxi?” Supermom was not ready to give up easily.  She wanted to confirm and reconfirm everything.
“ I have already booked Meru for 9’o’ clock. I have to go to CST. The train starts at 10.15 PM. I have kept a margin of 1 hour 15 min to get to the station, though actually I need only 15 minutes.
Anything else  you want to know or should I watch my TV program?” DKT gave a harsh look, which left MIL totally speechless.
“OK, I will tell DIL to keep your dinner rady by usual time – i.e 8 PM”  said supermom a.k.a MIL and went back to her reading.

Suddenly at about 8.10, MIL heard a loud laughter and she heard DIL – “MIL, MIL – your DKT  has missed his train! He was supposed to board it at 8.15 from CST and he is still sitting here – TV se aankhen laga raha hai.”
Supermom was shocked. In the morning her DKT had assured her about his programme. She was reminded of two such earlier episodes where DKT had done similar faux pas. But she also knew that there was no use getting upset over spilt milk. She gave time to DKT to settle down, and after about an hour, went to his room. DIL and DKT were watching Masterchef!

MIL couldn’t believe her eyes! So cool....no sign of sorrow over loss of ticket money! God bless DKT. 

Supermom had come to console DKT, but instead DKT consoled her – “ Cheer up mom, don’t worry. As soon as wifey told me about my mistake, I immediately booked plane ticket for morning flight. I will reach Nagpur before them and catch up with the group.”
“No remorse over the lost money?”
“Arre mom...hamaare liye paisa hai – hum paise ke liye nahin hai! And also to remind you of an old saying – ‘To err is human’ !”
DKT’s principles were oozing out of his wide smiling mouth. Supermom was still in serious mood.  She warned him –“To err is human – but to err again and again certainly needs a sermon. Have you checked date and time of your journey at least now?” she asked.
DKT shook his head at a complete 180 degree angle.
Satisfied, she came back and retired to her bedroom. 

At around 11’o’clock, she heard a loud banging on her bedroom door. When she opened it, DIL entered, laughing like a mad person who had had too many glasses of bhaang! Totally uncontrollable laughter.
“Now what?” asked MIL, confusion writ large on her face.
Trying to control her bouts of laughter, DIL said, “MIL, I think that you must start a diet of almonds by the kilo fir our DKT. Also, I will buy Shankhapushpi from the ayurvedic medicine shop – for our darling DKT. “
‘But why dear?”
“To improve his memory power’
“And whats wrong with my son’s memory, may I know? He still  remembers his wife’s and mom’s face, isn’t it?
“He does – HAHAHAHAHA – he surely does. HEHEHEHE – but again he has committed a silly mistake.”
“DIL – this is too much – calling my son a silly person!”
“Sorry mom – but he has booked his ticket for 15th November, instead of 14th November, when he actually needs to travel on 14th morning! Again he needs to cancel his air ticket and buy a new one for tomorrow!”

“And how did you notice that?”

“I happened to check his ticket very carefully to avoid embarrassment at the airport.”

“Why did you do it, sonny boy?”

Before DKT could answer, DIL jumped, clapped, laughed and said “it is very simple! He forgot today’s date! He thought it was 14th instead of 13th.” She kept on laughing and added – “MIL, please warn him not to go too much close to a tiger during his tadoba excursion. He has already made two mistakes. If he goes too close to a tiger for close up, it is unlikely that the tiger will forgive him – instead it will happily gobble him up! Tigers DONT FORGET their lunch time!”


1 comment:

  1. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

    ReplyDelete