Wednesday, November 20, 2013

JAI HO MASTERCHEF

“Hey, wifey , what is a Sunday special breakfast tomorrow ?” asked DKT.
“Vada Sambar , honey and may be a coconut chatany” answered DIL.

“DIL, my relatives from Poone are coming to see us next week , we must sit and plan some menu” MIL said to DIL.

“Don’t worry MIL, I’ll make nice Rassam Vada for them. I am sure they will dance with joy when they’ll get to eat soft soft Vadas with the yummy Rasam”  DIL started drooling over the taste of her own recipe.

“Mumma , what will you make for my Birthday Party this time ? I know Baba is going to order the Chhota Bheem Cake but what is your plan ?” asked the Princess of the flat no B- 409

“Darling , I’ll make cocktail Idlis and Dahiwada. Your friends will lick their fingers to no end” said DIL , the Royal mother.

Dil Ka Tukda overheard the dialogue and butted in –
“And now if I tell you that my friends are coming to enjoy a cricket match on our 50’inch TV , over lunch , you’ll surely present your stereotype Idli Vada treat to them ! Treat – Haha !” blurted DKT – “You and Your Vadas , Great show !”

DKT completed his sentence to the effect of lighting the wick of a bomb.
And the bomb ….. I mean DIL exploded!

“Ya……. You nincompoop – you laughing at my vadas – I am managing my job , daughter , MIL and to top it all YOU – a Nut for last many years – Everybody praises my vadas except you – if you don’t like them then why do you gobble them?” DIL was raging with frustration and anger.  

“Hee – Hee – Hee – I know you South Indians cannot stand an insult to your culinary skill. Just accept and forget that you have VADAMANIA !”

“Ya , Ya , I have Vadamania and you’ve Vadaphobia!- and tell me , what did you expect when you married a South Indian girl like me ! Shrikhand – Puri and masala Bhat along with watery Aamti and Taak ?” DIL now started teasing DKT for his Maharashtrian genealogy.

MIL thought it was a right time for her to wave a white flag !

“Stop arguing over Vadapuran! Let us reach a amicable solution. Tell me who started the  fight ?” asked MIL .

“Who else but your DKT – sits the whole day watching Australian , American , Indian Masterchef programmes , salivating and brooding over those stupid TV shows! All wives have  nightmares because of their husband’s expectations of exotic dishes made by those chefs! Why can’t the men folk move to the kitchen and try their hands at them” – DIL challenged DKT.

“OK- OK –I’ll show you that I am not just whiling away my time but can beat you in your own domain!” DKT accepted the challenge magnanimously! but on a condition of you assisting me”.

“Done!” said DIL.   
And from the next day the 8 X 6 kitchen became abode for our local Sanjeev Kapoor and the family members assisting DKT as and when needed – which was almost all the time.

The foodstores at the malls were raided for the rare ingredients which were unseen by the poor Mom’s kitchen !
The often heard sentences were “What you don’t have thousand island dressing ?”
“Not even the Italian herbs ?”
“And what about Chinese sauces? And I always thought you two ladies manage the full fledged kitchen !”
MIL and DIL were asked to shell , shred , dice , prick , soak , grate , grind , roast , stir fry , shallow fry , deep fry ingredients to make the Master Chef’s Special !
Kitchen sink overflowed with crockery, cutlery and number of pots and pans! Once or twice MIL almost slipped on the wet kitchen floor. Princess too participated by handing over the different articles needed. DIL’s hands were kept busy in arranging the olives , mushrooms , jalapeno pepper , coloured bell pepper , seasoning , grated cheese etc.
And when the dish was ready the first thing was not that offering to God in old Indian way but to click a photo to post it on Face Book ! 

Looking at all this DIL would smile mischievously but look at her DKT adoringly  and praise him   for his excellent performance . 

MIL-  the occasional consultant would be HAPPY any which way – whether DIL or DKT – she would be sure to get Tasty food – either Idli Vada or Pizza , Pasta , Tomato – Sev curry or Papad Subji in curd gravy !


Kudos to Master chef ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment