Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Sugandhi Dosti – Fragrant Friendship


I have two DIL’s.   No,  not the organ that you understand by the word DIL!   Otherwise I would have gone down in the book of Medical Miracles and also some doctors would have been waiting with a scalpel to conduct my post-mortem.   This DIL is a different DIL – ie like an old time Crack Jack biscuit.

So the one who is a different DIL  accidentally noticed my love for branded perfumes.  She had entered my room when I was adoringly looking at my collection of empty perfume bottles of yore!    Some of them had been presented to me by my friends and one set was a surprise gift on my birthday by my husband... in the last century!     That was when he happened to visit UK on an official tour.  I loved those cutely shaped bottles and the perfume till it lasted.  Even after they were empty,  they emitted fragrance and revived my memories.    I had preserved the bottles and used to flaunt my treasure to my grandchildren.   On one such occasion,   DIL noticed the lust in my eyes.

This DIL of mine is a very practical person.  She has her own idea of enjoying life’s pleasure.  She stands 1000kms away from all the girlie madness over fashionable clothes, shoes, accessories and perfumes.   She is very happy with her jeans,  tees, backpacks and of course sports shoes – all these items are branded too!
According to this different DIL of mine,  50% of the ladyfolk ,  ie her MIL’s tribe,  waste time in front of the idiot box.   Another 45% girlie folk do nothing but drown themselves in useless discussions over the movies / current fashions / parties / maids  and their nagging MIL’s even if they happen to be married to the most desirable man in town.    And the remaining 5% hardly shows interest in world finance,  share market or global tourism.      My DIL says only if this scenario changes can Mumbai become Shanghai!

Now what was I talking about – yes, perfumes!    So this DIL of mine who believes in simple living, touring and travelling,   hiking and backpacking went for her annual holiday to USA via Kuwait.   She shocked me when she unpacked her backpack.    In a flash,  she took out a set of Dior’s LA collection of perfumes,  and with a bow she presented it to me – For You she said.   My eyes sparkled and filled with tears at the same time.   I still enjoy the lingering fragrance of  Midnight Poison,   Dior Addict Shine,  J’adore,   Miss Dior Cherie and Dior Addict 2.   I love them all.    Lately my granddaughter  too has followed suit.   She never forgets to remind me to wear perfume before leaving for any function.  Of course she chooses her perfume on her own.

Just recently I found the falling levels in those cute little bottles and commented on it  during dinner.  And Oh-la-la!   My DIL took the hint and I got what I wanted – a collection of Lancome perfumes.  DIL  brought it for her mad MIL  when she went for her annual vacation to USA – Sugandhi Dosti ka Haath!   DIL, you have your MIL’s DIL.    
 
Thanks DIL for spreading the Fragrance of Friendship!



No comments:

Post a Comment